Thursday, February 27, 2014

So I Do Actually Study...

This past week, I received the request to write about my classes so here goes nothing:

Let's recap with the bidding process first. After I was awarded all 5 of the classes I requested during the first bidding round, I then bid on two additional classes during the second bidding round. I was only awarded one. So I bid again, trying to get a seventh class, giving me 24 ECTS. I didn't get it. Then began the waiting list rounds. During these rounds, I did not have to place any points on the classes I wanted; I simply selected them. At the end of the round, the computer system randomly selects students to fill the spaces of the class. I choose eight classes, hoping to get just one. I did not receive any. So I wait listed classes again during the second round. I did not receive any. Finally, during the third wait list round, after I had selected a total of eleven classes, I was awarded two. So a week after classes began, I finally had my 24 ECTS. I am thrilled that USC does not use the bidding system to allocate classes. What made the process even more difficult was the fact that I didn't really have anyone to explain it to me. But now I have all my classes and can start planning my class schedule for Fall 2014!

Turns out that all but one of my classes this semester are Masters courses, which is super fun. Below are the classes I am taking and a brief explanation about each of them.

Intercultural Customer Satisfaction:

This is the class that I was finally awarded during the wait list round. The professor seems extremely friendly and loves that his class is so diverse so that he can learn about all our different cultures. A lot of my exchange friends are in that class too, which is nice. They also all happen to be Americans. We only have two grades in the class, a paper and a presentation. I'm doing my presentation with my friend Brynne from Southern Cal on Nordstrom (an American company) vs Zara (a Spanish company). So I think I'll enjoy that class. This is also my only bachelor's class.

Global Leadership:

This class is four hours long on Tuesday mornings. The good thing is that it only lasts half the semester. This class is very discussion based: we talk about the many different leadership styles and look into quotes from famous leaders and really dissect what it means. It seems as though my friend Victoria and I have a slightly easier time discussing the quotes since we have a better handle on English than the rest of the class. I enjoy going to this class as well.

Insurance Operations:

In this class, we are discussing insurance companies. On the first day, we talked about AIG (an American company) and hurricanes in Florida. Go USA. The professor is extremely knowledgeable and does not simply read the PowerPoint slides. He also invited us all to the "Institute" for a bbq at the end of April. I'm not quite sure what the Institute is, but it has something to do with the Insurance department at the school...I think. The final is also the second to last week of classes, as opposed to the last week. It will be nice to finish it and have time to study for the rest of my finals.

Risk Management and Insurance:

This is definitely my least favorite class so far. The professor is very nice; however she deviates very little from the PowerPoint and speaks in a monotone voice. Apparently she only teaches the course for half of the semester and then someone else comes in after Spring Break. The only grade in this class is the final exam.

Financial Markets and Financial Crisis in Historical Perspective:

This class is held as a block seminar on three Saturdays and one Friday during March. I'm not particularly looking forward to sitting in class on the weekend while my friends are traveling, but at least it isn't a long class. I have a group presentation on the first day of the class too, so this should be interesting.

The International Financial Architecture:

This class is another block seminar, but it is held on three days during Spring Break.

Corporate Financial Management:

This class doesn't start until after Spring Break, but then it's three times a week as opposed to once. Apurva, another exchange student from USC, is in that class with me.

So to sum up, by the end of Spring Break I will have completed three of my seven classes, one will just be starting, and I will be continuing three of them. So although I do have some fabulous travel plans lined up this semester, I will be spending some time studying too!




No comments:

Post a Comment